James is a Senior Associate and Head of the Property Litigation team. He leads a team with a broad range of experience across the full scope of property disputes including adverse possession claims, squatter evictions, compulsory purchase, easements, wayleaves and other third party rights, dilapidations claims, lease renewal litigation, the operation of break clauses, possession claims and housing law litigation. He deals with a broad range of property related disputes, acting for both commercial and private clients. He advises private and public sector clients in relation to a variety of property disputes. He has particular experience working with developers and governmental bodies. He also acts for commercial landlords and tenants on various matters including lease renewals, breach of covenant, dilapidations, forfeiture and possession claims.
Significant recent cases and instructions
- Acting for a national housebuilder in resisting an application for adverse possession of a secondary access to land to be used as the second phase of a large residential development project
- Advising a social housing developer in relation to various planning objections raised against two new residential development projects in the South West of England
- Representing a landowner in relation to a claim by a lord of the manor seeking to revive claimed ancient rights to mines and minerals
- Acting for a national housebuilder in a claim for damages against a contractor who had failed to correctly assess the environmental risks associated with development land pre-purchase.
- Advising a developer on the removal of a highway improvement line from a piece of prime development land in the South East of England
- Advising a developer and a social housing provider on their rights and obligations in relation to Japanese Knotweed infestation.
- Solicitor at Hugh James: 2016
- Qualified: 2012
- Commercial Legal Solutions: 2009-2015
- Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice, Cardiff Law School
- LLB Honours – Open University