Breach of Data Protection

If you have suffered distress due to a breach of data protection, Hugh James dedicated data protection solicitors will be able to offer free advice on making a claim for compensation.

In England and Wales an individual has the right to know how their personal information is used by third parties.  The Data Protection Act 1998 controls how your personal information is used by organisations, businesses or the government. Any organisation that holds personal information on you must ensure that your personal information is:

  • Used fairly and lawfully
  • Used for limited, specifically stated purposes
  • Used in a way that is adequate, relevant and not excessive
  • Accurate
  • Kept for no longer than is absolutely necessary
  • Handled according to people’s data protection rights
  • Kept safe and secure

 What is a breach of data protection?

A breach of data protection can occur when an organisation holding personal information on you, doesn’t apply to the above  data protection guidelines.

If an organisation holding personal information on you breaches the Data Protection Act, for instance, by misusing or accidentally releasing personal information, affected individuals may be entitled to compensation for damage and distress caused as a result. Breaches of statutory data protection may not be deliberate and can include instances when an organisation’s database or website has been hacked.

If you believe that you have been affected by a breach of data protection, then talk to us today for free, initial advice on obtaining compensation.

Large numbers may be affected

When there are breaches of data protection it is not uncommon for the details of numerous individuals to be involved. If you believe that your personal information has been misused or has not been kept safely and securely it is unlikely that you are alone. Hugh James solicitors is one of the UK’s leading specialists in group actions. We specialise in acting for large numbers of individuals as a group, collectively seeking the same legal action against the same defendant.

How do I make a claim for compensation?

If you have a data protection complaint and the organisation in question does not agree to pay you compensation for the breach, you can make a claim via the court.

If your private details have been misused or released on to third parties unlawfully or without authorisation (including via hacking) you should contact us today, for free, initial advice on your breach of data protection claim.

Latest Tweets
Our Offices

Hodge House
114 - 116 St. Mary Street
Cardiff, CF10 1DY
Tel: 033 0058 5077
Fax: 029 2038 8222

99 Gresham Street
Tel: 020 7936 3453
Fax: 020 3053 8562

Make an enquiry
ISO 9001 Management Systems BWPNG