Gareth Williams is a Consultant at Hugh James. He specialises in sports law and substantial commercial and insurance litigation. He has represented insurance and corporate risk clients for more than 25 years, handling complex and high value cases. He heads up the firm’s sports law department.
He is the chairman of Glamorgan Cricket Club. He is also the chairman of the Board of Governors of the University of South Wales. Additionally, he is a non-executive director of Thomas Carroll Group Plc.
He has been a legal adviser to the Welsh Rugby Union for 25 years. From 2010 until 2018 he was the WRU's company secretary, a position which he relinquished upon his appointment as chair of Glamorgan Cricket Club.
- Sports law
- Dispute resolution
- Insurance and corporate risk
- Personal injury
- Health and safety
- Trained: Hardwickes, Cardiff
- Qualified: 1976
- Partner at Hugh James: 1978
- Senior Partner at Hugh James: 2005
- Consultant at Hugh James: 2017
Prior to being appointed Senior Partner in 2005, Gareth was Head of the Business Litigation Division. A former Deputy District Judge, Gareth was also the first solicitor in Wales to be a licensed insolvency practitioner.
- Chairman of Glamorgan Cricket Club
- Chairman of the Board of Governors of the University of South Wales
- Governor of the University of South Wales
- Non executive director of Thomas Carroll Group Plc
- Trustee of the Welsh Rugby Charitable Trust
- Wales Commercial Law Association (former Chairman)
Gareth has advised the New York office of a major international insurer on insurance and liability issues arising from the Buncefield explosion. The potential exposure was £100 million. He has also advised the Welsh Government on a multi-million pound dispute arising out of a sponsorship agreement. He has been a legal adviser to the Welsh Rugby Union for 22 years and has undertaken high profile litigation and commercial work on its behalf.
- Glan Clwyd School (Head Boy)
- University College of Wales, Aberystwyth (LL.B and Morgan Owen Law Prizewinner)
What do you like to do outside work?
Gareth is Chairman of Glamorgan Cricket Club and of the Board of Governors of the University of South Wales. He is also a non-executive director of Thomas Carroll Group Plc. He is also a trustee of the Welsh Rugby Charitable Trust which supports rugby players who have suffered serious injury playing the game. Additionally, he is a trustee of Prostate Cymru.