Agricultural accidents claims

Farms can be dangerous places to work and farm accidents can often lead to very serious injuries. The types of injuries sustained in an agricultural or farming environment can be as varied as the industry itself. Typical injuries can include: crushing injuries back and shoulder injuries caused by manual handling; animal injuries; head injuries; and in some instances, fatal injuries. The effect of such an accident can have a fundamental lasting impact on those injured and their family members or dependents.

In the case that you are injured in an agricultural accident, as a result of your employer’s breach of care, you may be entitled to compensation.

Our team of specialists have many years of experience in dealing with farm accidents and injuries of this nature. We will be able to offer a free consultation, with no obligation, on whether you have a compensation claim. During a free consultation, we will discuss the particulars of your agricultural accidents claim and explain the full claims process with you, including funding options. If we are confident that your case has merit, we will act on your behalf, on a no win, no fee basis and ensure we get the best level of compensation for your individual circumstances.

We can also assist with any on-going care and treatment in the form of surgery, rehabilitation, physiotherapy and in some cases Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) for psychological symptoms.

Key contact

Iain Scott is a partner at Hugh James. A Fellow of APIL he has in excess of 20 years experience in representing injured clients. He undertakes a broad range of high value claims including fatal accidents, accidents at work, public liability and serious road traffic accidents.

View team

Your questions answered

How do I make an agricultural accidents claim?


During your free, no-obligation consultation our specialist solicitors will discuss whether you are entitled to make a claim. If negligence is established, we will discuss the various options with you, including the no win, no fee element of your personal injury claim. You will be provided with a step-by-step breakdown of how we will proceed with your accident compensation claim without obligation to proceed.

How much will making a claim cost?


In the vast majority of cases, our agricultural accident claims are funded on a no win, no fee basis, also known as Conditional Fee Agreements (CFAs).

This means that if your case is unsuccessful you will not have to pay anything. We will only take on your case if, after assessing your claim, we decide that there is a reasonable chance of success. Our initial consultation is free, so you won’t pay a penny if we don’t accept your case.

What regulations are in place to protect me?


Currently in the UK, the law offers protection to any farm or agricultural worker in respect of injuries sustained whilst at their place of work. Some of the most important legal provisions, in terms of agricultural injuries, will come from the following regulations:

  • The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999
  • The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992
  • The Manual Handling Regulations Operations Regulations 1992
  • The Work at Height Regulations 2005
  • The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998
  • The Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regulations 1992
  • The Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002.

What type of accidents can I claim for?


Some of the most common incidents we have had claims for include:

  • farm machinery accidents
  • manual handling injuries
  • slipping or tripping injuries
  • falling from height
  • contact with electricity
  • injuries sustained whilst driving tractors or other agricultural vehicles
  • injuries sustained when using work equipment, such as chainsaws or being injured by animals.

However, this list is by no means exhaustive. Therefore, if you have suffered any other injury due to an agricultural accident, one of our specialists will be able to advise if you are entitled to make a claim.

Will bringing a workplace accident claim affect my job?


If you have been injured at work and then exercise your right to bring a claim for compensation against your employer, you should then not be adversely treated by your employer. The reality is that although you may be bringing a claim against your employer in name, your claim will actually be handled by your employer’s insurers or solicitors.

Will I have to go to court?


Only a small percentage of personal injury claims brought will actually proceed to trial though we do prepare every case in depth to make sure we are ready should it go to court.

The personal injury procedural system is geared towards encouraging parties to be open with each other so that any claims for compensation can be settled without the need for going to court, which can save both time and cost.

A lot of people are naturally nervous and uncomfortable about going to court. We understand this and will advise you every step of the way, should your case reach a trial.

What are the time limits in respect of bringing a personal injury claim?


There are strict time limits in personal injury claims. The usual rule is that a potential claimant has three years from the date of an accident within which to bring a claim for compensation.

The court does have the discretion to override the three year period, but it is not regularly exercised.

Although there is a three year period within which to bring court proceedings, it is important that you seek legal advice as soon as possible should you believe you might have a claim.

Business news, knowledge and insight