Since qualification, Connor has worked exclusively within the field of health and social care, with expertise in mental capacity, deprivation of liberty, mental health, medical treatment, and inquests. Having recently joined Regulatory team at Hugh James, Connor brings his experience having advised CCGs/ICBs, Trusts, Health Boards, and private care providers regarding these difficult and sensitive areas of law.
With the Regulatory team, Connor uses his expertise to advise health and social care clients on complex mental capacity and adult safeguarding cases. This includes developing areas of law concerning capacity and best interests. Connor has a wealth of experience representing clients in contested welfare and s21a applications before the Court of Protection.
Connor frequently advises proceedings being heard before the High Court where there are issues concerning capacity and best interests regarding contact, use of social media and the internet, engaging in sexual relations, and use of contraception.
Connor has also spent time working with individuals at the centre of Court of Protection welfare disputes, instructed for protected parties by professional advocates and the Official Solicitor, meaning he has a well-rounded experience in this area.
Connor is experienced in representing health and social care clients at inquest proceedings, including hearings before juries, where Article 2 is engaged, and there is significant press interest.
Connor has developing experience in advising Professional Deputies on inter-related property/financial affairs and health/welfare issues. He has advised clients at all stages of inquest proceedings on matters including deaths in custody and deaths arising from complex medical circumstances.
Connor routinely conducts his own advocacy in the Court of Protection and the Coroner’s Courts.
Connor is a member of CoPPA Cymru. He is also learning to speak Welsh.
- Queens University Belfast, Law with Politics
- Cardiff University, LPC Part-time
- Trained at Geldards LLP 2015 – 2017
- Qualified at DAC Beachcroft, Solicitor 2017 – 2018
- Solicitor at NWSSP Legal & Risk Services 2018 – 2020
- Solicitor at CJCH Solicitors 2020 – 2023
- Associate at Hugh James 2023
- Advising on disputed welfare and s21a (DoLs appeals) applications before the Court of Protection
- Representing a protected party (P) in Court of Protection proceedings where a High Court judge made findings that P had been coercively controlled by her husband: MB v PB  EWCOP 14 (15 March 2022).
- Advising a Health Board on an urgent application to seek dental treatment under restraint for a young man with a learning disability Cardiff & Vale University Health Board v P (by his litigation friend, CL)
- Advising a health board on an urgent out-of-hours application to the High Court to seek approval to administer blood products to a 12-year-old practising Jehovah’s witness.
- Advising a health board on an urgent application to administer medication to a 17-year-old under restraint to reverse the effects of an overdose
- Representing a Health Board at an inquest of a man who drowned while on escorted leave from a mental health unit
- Representing a Health Board at an inquest of a young man with an unexplained cause of death leading to an open conclusion