What are you looking for?


According to the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) over 1 million employees in Great Britain are exposed to levels of noise which put their hearing at risk. If you have suffered hearing loss from a noisy environment in the past, you may be eligible for industrial compensation.

What are the symptoms of industrial deafness?

For many, hearing loss happens gradually. Early symptoms include difficulty with normal conversation, complaints by family members that the television is too loud, noises in your ears, difficulties using the telephone, confusing similar words and difficulty socialising in places with loud background noise. Symptoms similar to these will suggest that your hearing may have deteriorated – and if you have previously worked or continue to work in a noisy environment then you may be entitled to deafness compensation.

Can I get compensation for a hearing loss claim?

Hugh James industrial deafness specialist lawyers have a depth of experience representing people across the UK and Wales with industrial deafness compensation across a wide range of industries including:

  • Factory workers
  • Miners
  • Construction workers
  • Military personnel

We have a team of specialist industrial deafness solicitors dealing with such claims who are very skilled at taking detailed instructions and guiding clients through what are difficult areas of law. As part of your deafness claim, we arrange for you to see medical experts who specialise in industrial deafness claims and who may be able to advise treatment in appropriate circumstances.

There are strict time limits for bringing industrial deafness claims and we would encourage you to pursue a claim as soon as possible so that your claim is not out of time. If you think that you have a hearing problem caused by your employment, then you should seek legal advice immediately.

We can explore other ways to help you whilst you get back on your feet including:

  • Seeking interim payments where possible
  • Exploring treatment and other rehabilitation options with insurers
  • Providing benefit advice
  • A free financial check up
  • Financial planning

Our team of lawyers is accredited by the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers and the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

Let Hugh James help you. We are industrial deafness solicitors who always have our clients’ best interests at heart. Our expertise and experience in deafness claims enables us to win cases that other lawyers would not pursue. For more information about industrial deafness compensation claims, call us today.

Can you claim for hearing aids and treatment for hearing loss and tinnitus?

At Hugh James we have a great deal of experience in assisting clients who suffer with hearing loss. We appreciate the effects that hearing loss and tinnitus can have.

As part of the claim, we will arrange for you to be examined by an experienced consultant ENT surgeon and an audiologist, who will recommend whether you may benefit from hearing aids now or in the future.

There are now a wide variety of hearing aids available and provided that the medical experts believe that you require a hearing aid now or in the future then the cost may be included in your compensation. Many of our clients tell us that private hearing aids are often better than those available on the NHS.

You will also receive recommendations for treatment where this is appropriate. For instance, for people suffering from tinnitus, this may include tinnitus retraining therapy.

How much hearing loss compensation can I expect for an industrial deafness claim?

This really depends on your circumstances and the severity of your injury or illness. This can vary between individuals but be rest assured that our specialist team is experienced in ensuring that you and your family receive the maximum compensation you are entitled to.

Compensation will include an award for the pain and suffering caused by your illness. In addition, compensation can also be claimed in respect of care needs, financial losses, medical care and treatment.

Key contact

Simon Ellis


Simon Ellis is a Partner with Hugh James and has worked with the firm for more than 25 years, having trained and qualified here. Simon heads up the Military Department, advising and assisting current and former military personnel with various health conditions and injuries. He specialises in claims such as hearing loss, non-freezing cold injuries, compartment syndrome and military injury cases. He is often asked to advise on more unusual claims in the military context.

Your questions answered

Making the initial enquiry to see if you are able to pursue an industrial deafness compensation claim is easy, simply contact our specialist industrial deafness solicitors either via telephone or our online enquiry form.

To make pursing a compensation claim as easy as possible you will not have to visit any of our offices. We can arrange home visits across the country if these are required and will verbally discuss everything with you via telephone.

In our initial consultation we shall discuss your potential claim free of charge, without obligation. If your claim has a reasonable chance of being successful we will then run you through your options and give you the opportunity to instruct us to act on your behalf on a no win, no fee, basis.

Our team of lawyers are accredited by the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers and the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

If you have been injured at work and then exercise your right to bring a claim for compensation against your employer, you should then not be adversely treated by your employer. The reality is that although you may be bringing a claim against your employer in name, your claim will actually be handled by your employer’s insurers or solicitors.

We will trace the employers’ liability insurers of your former employers who will be responsible for paying the compensation you are entitled to.

You have three years from the date you were diagnosed with an industrial disease or illness condition to make a claim. There are exceptions to this, and it is worth contacting us in any event, even if you are outside this time.

If you were a contractor or sub-contractor and somebody else was responsible for your health and safety, then you will be able to claim. You must prove that it was not your responsibility to control your working environment. Unfortunately, if you are self-employed, you are solely responsible for your working environment and therefore you will not be able to pursue a claim.

Only a small percentage of industrial disease claims brought will actually proceed to trial though we do prepare every case in depth to make sure we are ready should it go to court.

The procedural system is geared towards encouraging parties to be open with each other so that any claims for compensation can be settled without the need for going to court, which can save both time and cost.

A lot of people are naturally nervous and uncomfortable about going to court. We understand this and will advise you every step of the way, should your case reach a trial.

Next steps

We’re here to get things moving. Drop a message to one of our experts and we’ll get straight back to you.

Call us: 033 3016 2222

Message us