This week on the HJ Talks About Abuse podcast we talk to guest Adrian Goldberg. Adrian is a radio presenter, ex BBC Watchdog and 5 Live investigator. He also has his own podcast, Byline Times Podcast.
Adrian is one of the creators of the Celtic Boys Club Scandal film and podcast.
Following numerous criminal trials and convictions, a media storm regarding abuse in football and the documentary Football’s Darkest Secrets, more and more clubs have been identified where boys were abused by coaches or scouts.
Adrian co-produced and released a film on YouTube called ‘The Celtic Boys Club Scandal’ which was a crowdfunded documentary regarding the abuse at Celtic Boys Club and failings to investigate or report such abuse. The film covers, Jim Torbett, who was one of the coaches that later went on to be convicted amongst others.
We discuss the concerns that were raised at the time and failings. In addition the film covered some of the political issues.
During the podcast, we also discuss mandatory reporting and what further changes are needed in football, and wider sport in general.
The following organisations are available to contact for support:
- Victim Support Line: Offering emotional and practical support for anyone who has been a victim of crime. Telephone: 0808 1689 111 –victimsupport.org.uk
- Rape Crisis: Services for women and girls who have been raped or have experienced sexual violence. 0808 802 9999 –www.rapecrisis.org.uk
- Survivors UK: Offers support for men and boys. 0203 598 3898 – www.survivorsuk.org
- NSPCC: [email protected]. 0808 800 5000
- Child Line: www.childline.org.uk
- NAPAC: Offers support to adult survivors of all types of childhood abuse. www.napac.org.uk
- Offside Trust: Offers support to survivors of child sexual abuse in sport. www.offsidetrust.com
Disclaimer: The information on the Hugh James website is for general information only and reflects the position at the date of publication. It does not constitute legal advice and should not be treated as such. If you would like to ensure the commentary reflects current legislation, case law or best practice, please contact the blog author.
Contact one of our experts
Fill in the form and one of our experts will get in touch with you shortly.