20 May 2022 | Podcasts | Article by Kathleen Hallisey

Scotland's Redress Scheme: HJ Talks About Abuse

In this week's episode of HJ Talks About Abuse, Kathleen and Feleena share their thoughts on the Scotland Redress Scheme, which was set up for survivors of historical child abuse in care in Scotland. They also explain the process of submitting an application and how you can make a claim if eligible.


Scotland’s Redress Scheme 

Scotland’s Redress Scheme is for survivors of historical child abuse in care in Scotland. It is now open for applications. It makes redress payments to people who were abused while in care as children before 1 December 2004, and some next of kin. It has been set up to recognise and acknowledge what happened, and the harm this abuse caused. The scheme covers: 

  • physical abuse 
  • sexual abuse 
  • emotional abuse 
  • neglect 


 You can apply if you were abused: 

  • as a child (when you were 17 years old or younger) 
  • before 1 December 2004 
  • in Scotland 
  • in a relevant care setting 


What is a relevant care setting? 

The Scheme only covers certain care settings. These are known as "relevant care settings" and include: 

  • children’s homes 
  • “List D” or approved schools 
  • penal institutions, including young offenders’ institutions and borstals 
  • residential care facilities (including hospitals) which provided long-term residential accommodation 
  • school hostels and some other accommodation provided for a child to go to school 
  • secure accommodation 
  • boarded out 
  • foster care 


There might be other settings that are relevant, depending on your circumstances. 

 At Hugh James we have many years’ experience of successfully guiding applicants through redress schemes including: 

  • The two Jersey redress schemes 
  • The Northern Ireland redress scheme 
  • The Lambeth redress scheme 
  • Redress schemes in Australia 


If you would like to talk to us in confidence about applying to the Scottish Redress Scheme, then please contact us today. 
Get in touch



How to apply? 

We are available to talk to you free of charge. Please note that if you engage a solicitor to advise you that the Scheme provides for the payment of legal fees. We will not charge you. 

Alternatively you can go the Scheme’s website at: https://www.mygov.scot/apply-for-scotlands-redress-scheme 


If you apply, you may be offered: 

  • a payment 
  • an apology, if you would like one, and help to get an apology from others 
  • emotional support 


You can contact Kathleen Hallisey or Feleena Grosvenor at [email protected] and [email protected] 

Disclaimer: The information on the Hugh James website is for general information only and reflects the position at the date of publication. It does not constitute legal advice and should not be treated as such. If you would like to ensure the commentary reflects current legislation, case law or best practice, please contact the blog author.

Business news, knowledge and insight