Probate & estate administration solicitors
We recognise that the loss of a loved one is a difficult and stressful time and offer a full estate administration service, founded on the principles of sensitivity and care and of providing practical and straightforward advice.
Our probate & estate administration service is offered on a national basis and is suitable for both lay and professional personal representatives. We also offer the option of our trust corporation acting as personal representative, if that may assist in the circumstances.
We have considerable experience in administering:
- both testate and intestate estates;
- both taxable and non-taxable estates;
- estates with business assets;
- estates with agricultural assets; and
- estates with overseas assets.
Alternatively, we also provide a service to assist personal representatives in simply obtaining the grant of representation.
What is probate?
Probate is the term commonly used to describe the legal process for applying for the right to deal with a deceased person's affairs. It can also be referred to as administering the estate.
When is a specialist probate solicitor required?
The majority of people that have the skillset or the time will deal with probate on their own. Sometimes things are more complex than they first seem. The probate process can be complicated because those dealing with the estate need to liaise with the Probate Registry and HM Revenue and Customs before any assets are sold, accounts are closed and the beneficiaries are paid. If this process isn't handled correctly any property or possessions held in the sole name of the deceased may not be released to you or other beneficiaries
These are a number of reasons you would let an expert probate solicitor work for you, these include:
- When there are charities named as beneficiaries
- If there are any concerns of the validity of the will or the will is currently being contested or dependants not mentioned are likely to contest the will
- If the will features any trusts
- If the will is complex or you simple do not have the time to administer the estate
- When the will contains any assets or property that are not in this country
- If the estate is insolvent
- If the estate value is high enough to be liable for inheritance tax
- If there is a business or any agricultural assets contained within the estate