Hugh James’s Welsh language policy
Hugh James is committed to the Welsh language. We treat Welsh and English on the basis of equality, so far as we are reasonably able to do so.
No other law firm in Wales has as many senior lawyers who are fluent in, and committed to, the Welsh language. Our senior partner, our managing partner, two of our four divisional heads, seven other partners and one of our most experienced consultants are Welsh speakers. In most areas upon which legal support may be required experienced lawyers from the firm, many of whom are recognised leaders in their respective fields of expertise, will be able to offer advice and guidance in Welsh.
Availability of Welsh speakers
- Hugh James has a number of staff in various positions across most departments within the firm who are fluent in Welsh.
- We are therefore usually able to deliver services to the same standard in Welsh or English.
Documents and information
- Hugh James will continue to produce Welsh language versions of relevant documents and information where appropriate.
- We will seek to respond in Welsh when we are replying to correspondence received in Welsh or when we have received a request to do so.
- We welcome the use of Welsh when receiving calls by our Welsh speaking staff.
- We have a Welsh only version of our corporate letter headed paper which is available for use as appropriate.
- Welsh language business cards are available for Welsh speaking staff.
Dealing with the media
- Press releases and statements can be drafted as appropriate to the language medium concerned for both print and broadcast media in Wales.
- Hugh James is usually able to deliver Welsh language broadcast media interviews.
- Local advertising and promotional material will be produced either in Welsh or English as deemed appropriate.
- TV, radio and print media advertising in Wales will be undertaken either in English or Welsh as deemed appropriate to the campaign.
Staff and the workplace
- We share information about the Welsh language skills of each member of staff within the workplace via our intranet.
Senior level support and implementation
- This policy has been formally agreed by our board of management.
- This policy will be conveniently available for our staff and the public to read.