What are you looking for?

3 August 2017 | Comment | Article by Katherine Allen

What to do when you suffer gastric illness on an all-inclusive holiday

Seek medical help

There may be a doctor on site at the hotel but if not the hotel staff will be able to direct you to an appropriate clinic. Take a stool sample with you to the doctor. Follow any medical advice you are given. If you cannot get to a doctor then speak to a pharmacist at a local chemist for advice. Keep details of any medication you take.

Report the illness

Report the illness to the hotel manager and if you think there is any specific cause report that to the manager as well so that they can take steps to investigate. Report the illness to the tour operator’s representative in resort. Get a copy of any written report. Do not sign any document or report that you cannot understand.

Medical records

Obtain copies of any medical records relating to any treatment you have before you leave to avoid any difficulties in obtaining copies of the records at a later date.

Photographs and videos

Take photographs or a video of any examples of poor food hygiene and/or the quality of the food.

Get details

Get details of other guests who also suffer illness

Keep a diary

Keep a diary of what you have eaten during your holiday and any particular concerns you have with any particular item. You can also use the diary to record your illness symptoms and how they progress, how your symptoms incapacitate you, the tasks your symptoms prevent you from doing and whether anyone provides assistance to you. If anyone does provide assistance, keep a note of how much time they spend doing so. Keep a note of any expenses you incur and keep receipts.

Obtain advice from a specialist

Not all personal injury solicitors deal with claims arising from illness abroad. A specialist will identify all the complexities and will be able to advise how best to deal with those. A specialist will also have a network of lawyers and experts in the country where you sustained your illness so that if any local evidence is required this can be easily obtained.

Author bio

Katherine Allen


Katherine acts for Claimants in cases across the whole range of travel personal injury litigation including package holiday claims, foreign RTAs, aviation accidents, accidents on cruise ships, foreign employers and occupier’s liability claims.  She has over 18 years’ experience in this field and has particular expertise in serious brain and spinal injury cases and cases involving points relating to jurisdiction and applicable law.

Disclaimer: The information on the Hugh James website is for general information only and reflects the position at the date of publication. It does not constitute legal advice and should not be treated as such. If you would like to ensure the commentary reflects current legislation, case law or best practice, please contact the blog author.


Next steps

We’re here to get things moving. Drop a message to one of our experts and we’ll get straight back to you.

Call us: 033 3016 2222

Message us