Mark Powell QC is a Consultant with Hugh James. As the only practising QC solicitor in Wales, he has extensive experience in advising clients in family law matters, representing local authorities in high profile child care cases and has special expertise in adoption.
Mark sits as a Deputy High Court Judge in the Family Division and as a Recorder in the Crown and County Court. He is also the Deputy President of the Mental Health Tribunal for Wales and the Chancellor of the Anglican Diocese of Birmingham and Monmouth. Additionally, Mark is the President of the Disciplinary Tribunal of the Church in Wales.
Mark has represented The Church in Wales in the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse (IICSA). On behalf of the Family Justice Council, Mark trains social workers in the South East Wales Consortium and is a former Chairman of the Association of Lawyers for Children.
- 2008 - Appointed Deputy High Court Judge sitting in the Family Division
- 2006 - Appointed to the rank of Queen's Counsel in 2006
- 1995 - Appointed Recorder on the Wales and Chester Circuit
- 1989 - Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand
- Partner at Hugh James since 1977
- Qualified: 1977
- Trained: Treasures