Matt is a solicitor in our Corporate & Commercial team. He regularly advises on corporate matters including M&A, joint ventures, equity and debt investments, restructuring and general corporate governance. Matt assists lead partners on a number of high-value corporate transactions.
Matt advises both private and public sector clients on all aspects of commercial law to include complex, high-value commercial agreements, state aid and procurement advice.
- Assisting lead partner on the sale of Sheppard’s pharmacy group, the largest independent pharmacy group in Wales, to Avicenna Retail Limited.
- Advising on the multi-million-pound refinancing of a Welsh solar farm.
- Advising numerous institutional investors, including Development Bank of Wales, on various debt and equity investments in start-up companies.
- Advising Welsh Rugby Union on its ongoing club incorporation project.
- Assisting lead partner on the multi-million-pound sale of a music sampling company to major US buyer, Splice.
- Advising housing associations and other public bodies on their procurement processes, including drafting key documents throughout all stages of the procurement process.
- Providing procurement and state aid advice to Welsh Government in respect of its new Help to Buy Scheme.
Matt joined Hugh James in 2015 as a paralegal. Matt started his training contract at Hugh James in 2018 and qualified as a solicitor into our Corporate & Commercial team in September 2020.
- LLB Law, Cardiff University (2011 – 2014)
- LPC, University of Law, Bristol (2017 – 2018)