Lydia qualified as a solicitor in June 2008. Upon qualification, she joined Gartsides Solicitors in Ebbw Vale, and practised initially in family and children law, before specialising primarily in public law Children Act proceedings, acting on behalf of parents and Guardians. Lydia became Head of the Family Department at Garsides in 2018. She joined Hugh James as an Associate in March 2021.
Lydia has significant experience in public law Children Act proceedings, and has experience of acting for parties in some of the most complex cases, including those relating to non-accidental injury, alcohol and drug misuse, and neglect. Having previously acted for parents and Children's Guardians in such proceedings (including in cases where parties have been represented by the Official Solicitor, and in cases with an international element), her practice now focuses on the representation of local authorities. Lydia undertakes all aspects of proceedings, including advocacy.
Lydia is also a member of our Professional Regulation team, and currently sits as a Legal Adviser to Social Care Wales' Interim Orders and Fitness to Practise Panels.
- Associate at Hugh James: March 2021
- Associate & latterly Head of Family Department at Gartsides, Ebbw Vale: 2008 - 2021
- Qualified as a Solicitor in June 2008
- Trained at Peter Lynn & Partners, Swansea (2006-2008)
- Paralegal at Hugh James (2005-2006)
- Cardiff University (Diploma in Legal Practice) - 2005
- University of Wales, Swansea (LL.B (Law)) - 2004