Phoebe joined Hugh James in March 2021 and is a Senior Associate in the specialist Asbestos team. Phoebe has acted solely for Claimants in asbestos disease litigation since qualifying as a solicitor in 2013. Since then she has successfully obtained compensation for a significant number of patients following their diagnoses of mesothelioma, asbestosis, pleural thickening and lung cancer. Phoebe has significant experience of taking on complex cases with challenging legal issues and she is regularly instructed post death.
As an APIL specialist, she is meticulous in her preparation and research. Phoebe pursues claims against former employers following historic workplace asbestos exposure, and has concluded complex Public Liability and Employer's Liability claims against schools and hospitals. She takes great pride in her chosen vocation and is a regular campaigner to improve health and safety, and raises awareness through her active social media. She has been interviewed by BBC Radio Norfolk and ITV regarding the dangers of asbestos in public buildings, including the National Asbestos in Schools campaign.
Phoebe has experience in negotiating agreements for private funding for ongoing medical treatment options such as immunotherapy, as well as recovering compensation for complex care needs involving dependant family members. What Phoebe most enjoys about her work is the investigative challenges, working with clients and their families often in challenging times and bringing resolution and peace of mind to clients and their families.
In addition to her legal work, she has been an active Chair of two asbestos disease groups, AADSG (2016 - 2021) and East of England Asbestos Patient Support Group (EEA-PSG) since March 2021, both founded by Mesothelioma UK Ambassador, Brian Wallis. Together, Phoebe and the committee have helped to raise over £20,000 to fund a specialist Mesothelioma UK nurse in Suffolk and Norfolk.
- Recovery of damages for a GPO Telephonist diagnosed with pleural mesothelioma following exposure in the early 1970s where liability was denied, settling the claim 5 days before a 3 day trial at the Royal Courts of Justice. Read more here.
- Achieving a six figure settlement and a future medical treatment order for a former carpenter diagnosed with pleural mesothelioma following negligent exposure to asbestos dust when cutting asbestolux for a Cambridge carpentry firm during the 1970s. Read more here.
- Settling a secondary mesothelioma claim together with a future medical treatment Order for non-NHS private medical treatment, after investigating how my client was negligently exposed to asbestos from washing her marine engineer husband's asbestos laden dusty overalls in the late 1970s and early 1980s.
- Senior Associate at Hugh James: 2021
- Associate at Ashtons Legal: 2016
- Solicitor at Irwin Mitchell: 2013
- Qualified at Thomas Eggar: 2013
- Trained at Thomas Eggar (now part of Irwin Mitchell)
- Nottingham Trent University, LLB Law
- APIL accredited asbestos and occupational disease 2020
- APIL Senior Litigator 2016