An inquest has heard that the death of a 75 year old former steelworker from Scunthorpe died as a result of asbestos exposure, causing mesothelioma. The inquest heard how the elderly man had begun working for British Steel as a boiler attendant in 1960.
The inquest heard how the coroner had deduced that working as a boiler attendant for British Steel between 1960 and 1969 has exposed the deceased steelworker to asbestos, which was heavily used in the steel industry during the 1960s, 70s, 80s and 90s. The coroner’s verdict was that asbestos exposure had caused malignant mesothelioma.
Simon Ellis, a specialist asbestos related illness solicitor, from Hugh James represents clients across England and Wales whose lives have been impacted by asbestos related illnesses such as asbestosis and mesothelioma.
“this case isn’t an isolated one. There are many thousands of people across the UK who have been exposed to asbestos and are being diagnosed with asbestos related illnesses daily. Compensation is available to individuals who have been diagnosed so I would urge individuals or family members to contact a specialist solicitor for further advice.”
The family of the former steelworker for Scunthorpe say that the illness has taken his retirement years away from him. The coroner recorded industrial disease as the cause of death.