Every year, despite excellent work by many public agencies promoting tips and advice on handling fireworks safely, hundreds of adults and children end their firework night fun with a visit to accident and emergency.

Children account for over half of all firework casualties, suffering injuries such as burnt hands or feet, eye injuries and burns to the torso.

How we can help

If you have been injured in an accident in a public place, you will be able to claim compensation if you were injured as a result of someone else’s fault. Our personal injury lawyers can help guide you as to whether you are entitled to compensation to help you cope with the effects of your accident.

Fault is not always obvious so let our experience guide you. Our expert solicitors are highly trained and experienced in applying complex laws governing accidents in public places so that we can help people like you.

Hugh James has helped thousands of people to recover compensation after having an accident. We know having an accident can mean a really difficult time for you and your family.

We can explore other ways to help you whilst you get back on your feet including:

  • Seeking interim payments where possible
  • Exploring treatment and other rehabilitation options with insurers
  • Benefit advice
  • A free financial consultation
  • Financial planning

Key contact

Carlos is a Senior Associate in the Specialist Personal Injury Department. Carlos has over 20 years of experience in civil litigation, having spent the last 10 years specialising in personal injury multi-track claims, securing compensation for individuals in higher value motorcycle accident claims and product liability group action claims.

View team

Your questions answered

How do I make a claim?


During your free, no obligation consultation our specialist solicitors will discuss whether you are entitled to make a claim. If negligence is established, we will discuss the various options with you, including the no win, no fee element of your personal injury claim. You will be provided with a step-by-step breakdown of how we will proceed with your accident compensation claim without obligation to proceed.

How much will making a claim cost?


In the vast majority of cases, our fatal accident claims are funded on a no win, no fee basis, which are known as Conditional Fee Agreements (CFAs).

This means that if your case is unsuccessful you will not have to pay anything. We will only take on your case if, after assessing your claim, we decide that there is a reasonable chance of success. Our initial consultation is free, so you won’t pay a penny if we don’t accept your case.

Will I have to go to court?


Only a small percentage of personal injury claims will actually proceed to trial though we do prepare every case in depth to make sure we are ready should it go to court.

The personal injury procedural system is geared towards encouraging parties to be open with each other so that any claims for compensation can be settled without the need for going to court, which can save both time and cost.

A lot of people are naturally nervous and uncomfortable about going to court. We understand this and will advise you every step of the way, should your case reach a trial.

What are the time limits in respect of bringing a personal injury claim?


There are strict time limits in personal injury claims. The usual rule is that a potential claimant has three years from the date of an accident within which to bring a claim for compensation.

The court does have the discretion to override the three year period, but it is not regularly exercised.

The three year time limit is slightly different in cases involving repetitive injuries and diseases.

There are two further points to note in respect of the limitation for bringing a personal injury claim and these relate to bringing a claim on behalf of a deceased person and bringing a claim on behalf of a minor (someone under 18).

  1. In the case of fatal accidents, the three year period will start to run from the date of death or when the death is linked to a particular incident or accident.
  2. In the case of minors, their three year limitation period will not start to run until their eighteenth birthday – therefore, their three year limitation period would not expire until their twenty-first birthday.

Although there is a three year period within which to bring court proceedings, it is important that you seek legal advice as soon as possible should you believe you might have a claim.  

Business news, knowledge and insight