Hugh is Joint Head of the Manchester Office and Head of the Personal injury team in Manchester. Throughout his career, Hugh has acted on behalf of clients with brain and spinal cord injuries of the utmost severity, as well as having experience handing professional negligence cases, achieving record settlements with a reputation recognised nationally.
Hugh went on to establish Hugh Potter & Company on 1st May 1998, providing legal services to those who have sustained devastating injuries. As the firm expanded, Hugh Potter & Co became Potter Rees Serious Injury Solicitors in 2004 and finally Potter Rees Dolan in April of 2014. Having acted as a managing partner of the firm for the last 25 years, Hugh is now Joint Head of the Manchester Office and Head of the Personal injury team at Potter Rees Dolan (a Hugh James Business).
Notable cases include: Wilkinson v Churchill which was referred by the Court of Appeal to the ECJ and has achieved several record settlements, including the case of MM with settlement on full liability basis of £25 million and the case of TTT where damages of £30 million were secured.
Hugh is also recognised as a ranked in Band 1 in Chambers and is listed as a Leading Individual in the Legal 500.
Career and education history
- Nottingham University, Law: 1985
- Qualified: 1988
- Partner at Pannone: 1990
- Partner at Perkins & Co: 1994
- Founded Hugh Potter & Company: 1998
- Director of Potter Rees: 2004
- Director of Potter Rees Dolan: 2014
- Joint Head of Manchester Hugh James: 2023
- Fellow of APIL
- Accredited Brain Injury Specialist of APIL
- Headway Solicitor Panel Member
- Vice Chair of the Forum of Complex Injury Solicitors (FOCIS)